The term “edema” means swelling due to collection of fluids. Edema can occur on any part of the body or as generalized edema in the whole body. Pitting edema can be easily differentiated from regular ones by a simple test. When you press the swollen area of the skin by giving gentle pressure with your fingers, it creates identification on the site even after you have released the finger from the site. This can be illustrated by simple examples like having indication on the body after removing tight clothing, tight socks etc. Pitting edema is caused by various organ diseases or sometimes by local conditions that affect the hands and legs. Change in diet and taking diuretics can help to manage pitting edema. This condition is common in people with rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus.
Pitting Edema Causes :
- Various medical conditions can cause pitting edema.
- Immobility due to surgery or any other causes can force fluid pressure on the immobile part of the body.
- Varicose veins can cause edema that develops due to increased fluid pressure from the veins.
- Obesity can cause swelling of feet due to sodium and water retention.
- Certain cardiac problems like pericarditis and heart failure can cause edema.
- Intake of certain drugs like NSAIDs or steroids can lead to swelling.
- Liver cirrhosis or kidney failure or gastrointestinal problems like ulcerative colitis, or Crohn’s disease can cause pitting edema.
- Compression of large veins or lymph nodes or undergoing hip replacement surgery or local infection on the hand or feet can cause generalized edema.
- Blood vessels of the body may sometimes leak out fluid into the tissues nearby this leads to swelling of organs causing edema.
Edema is characterized by swelling of affected areas of the body. When gentle pressure is applied on the affected part, it creates identification on that area. Swelling arising from pitting edema is dependent on the gravity. The skin above the area of swelling would appear shining and tight. Identification on the affected area will not be present in case of non-pitting edema like lymphedema or lipoedema. Any problem in the lymph nodes can cause lymphedema leading to swelling or organs.
Pitting edema can be easily detected by simply pressing the area of inflammation. The area looks shiny and dark and the skin color is different from rest of the body. Further doctor may order for blood test, urine test, X-ray and ECG to find out the root cause of swelling. If required, liver function and kidney function test is also done to rule out problems in these vital organs.
Treatment for pitting edema depends on the causative factor. Suitable medications and treatments are given if edema occurs due to liver or kidney problems. Diuretics are prescribed in suitable doses to help kidney to expel excess of water from the body. Fluid leakage into the tissues can be prevented in many ways. The doctor will have to find out the exact cause of pitting edema to prevent leakage from tiny blood vessels.
Images, Pics, Pictures and Photos of Pitting Edema :
Home Remedy :
The individual can wear compression stockings to regulate the blood flow in the legs. Edema occurs due to leakage of fluid into the tissues thereby accumulating more fluids in the same area. The legs can be kept in an elevated position to prevent further swelling.
With suitable treatment methods and controlled diet and persistent follow ups one can overcome the edema or swelling of tissues. Exact root cause of the problem is to be rightly identified by the doctor. Degree of prognosis depends on the severity of the problem (kidney or liver failure) and also on the age and health condition of the patient.